The Real Issue: Men face court over alleged gang-rape in Adelaide car Park

If you haven’t already started listening to my podcast on Spotify then you might not be familiar with my The Real Issue segment.

Here we talk about everything from business, mental health to local news happening around Australia.

Today I want to talk about the most disgusting think to happen to two women here in Adelaide.

Five people have been arrested and have faced court over an alleged gang rape in Adelaide last weekend.

It is alleged that on Saturday, December 3, two women were sexually assaulted between 11pm and 12:30am in a car park off Adelaide’s main night-life strip.

The two women were allegedly walking past the Hotel Plaza carpark early on Sunday morning where they were allegedly caught up in an “alcohol and cannabis fuelled incident”.

They were then allegedly gang-raped by seven men for half an hour.

One of the women managed to escape, but upon realising her friend was still caught, ran back to help and was gang-raped a second time.

In the following days, five people, including two youths, were arrested over the Hindley St incident.

A 20-year-old man of no fixed address was arrested and charged with rape on Sunday, and faced the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.

On Monday, a 17-year-old Blair Athol boy was arrested and charged with rape, and later appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court where he was refused bail.

A second 17-year-old youth, accused of offering to pay one of the victims to prevent her going to police, was arrested on Tuesday and he was also refused bail in the Adelaide Youth Court.

On the same day, a 23-year-old Kensington man was charged with two counts of rape.

The identities of the men have been suppressed under court orders, and state law determines youths can also not be named.

A 21-year-old Clearview man was arrested on Wednesday. In the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Thursday, he faced Magistrate Justin Wickens, charged with two counts of engaging in sexual intercourse with a person without consent, and one count of inducing a witness to withhold or give false evidence.

Prosecutors alleged the second youth had contacted one of the victims and offered her $4000 to “either not give evidence or give false evidence”.

One of the women then contacted police, who attended the home of the 21-year-old Clearview man where he was arrested and found with the $4000 in his possession.

“Police located money equivalent to the induced payment,” Prosecutors said.

Magistrate Wickens told the 21-year-old’s counsel he had bigger problems to consider than money-related matters, with the prosecution also revealing the 21-year-old was known to one of the alleged victims.

“I would have thought your main problem is one of the alleged victims in this matter knows this man, and says he is one of the people doing things to herself and her friend in the stairwell,” Mr Wickens said.

Counsel for the 21-year-old, James Noblett, said those allegations of inducing a witness against his client were weak and were no reason to deny him bail.

“As your honour is well aware, there is always two sides to a coin; that comes with explanations in due course, so I will keep my powder dry,” Mr Noblett said.

“My client denies any wrongdoing in this,” he said.

Mr Wickens denied the man bail, and remanded him in custody until next week, and suppressed his identity from the public.

As a father of two beautiful girls its hard for me to read a newspaper article like this and not get angry.

Women should be allowed to enjoy themselves and not be worried about being raped.

In this day and age women should be able to have fun and not have this happen to them.

I think young men should be reeducated at a school age and it should be drummed into them that this is not the right thing to do.

I understand that not all men would do this and I am sure there are a lot of men out there who share my anger but come on.

Leave a Reply

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: